One of the trends on Instagram these days is "Plushie Blogging", where instead of taking photos of yourself doing certain activities or visiting certain places you take a photo of your plushie there. It's a fun way to share your travels with the world without putting your own face out there if you don't feel comfortable doing so. Now the #plushiesofinstagram aren't all travellers, some post photos of their everyday life and while it's up to you what you do I personally enjoy the travel ones the most.
There's no rule as to which plushie you use. They could be any animal, person, character or creature. They don't even have to be a plushie. They could be a doll, an action figure or even a plastic or rubber toy, perhaps even a keychain! They can be bought or handmade, big or small, new or secondhand. The possibilities are endless though it's a good idea to keep in mind that you'll be carrying this pal around with you and therefore small and soft is always the best option. Be careful about choosing your favourite childhood toy to accompany you as plushies do get lost while travelling sometimes.
Again there are no rules as to how you approach plushie blogging but things to consider are:
• What account to use. Do you want to use your existing Instagram (or Tumblr or Facebook or whatever social media you like) account or would you like to start a new secondary account specifically for your plushie.
• Do you want your account to be private or public? Remember to update your privacy settings accordingly.
• What sort of photos do you want to take? The great debate about whether to focus on the plushie in the foreground or the scenery in the background. It's entirely up to you but if it's too hard to decide why not try sitting your plushie in an interesting location and stepping back to get everything in focus.
Worried you'll be embarrassed about holding a childish toy aloft in one hand while you take a photo of it with your other hand? Don't be! Chances are you'll never see the people watching you curiously from a distance again (and who cares if you do) and rest assured that this is an activity taking the internet by storm, you're not the only one doing it!!!
Why not?! Not only will your plushie soon develop a little personality of their own but you'll also never be without a travel buddy. It's a fun way to document your travels because everywhere your plushie has been you have too! It might even give you motivation to go certain places just so your plushie can get their photo there!
The plushie community on instagram is very friendly and sometimes even do meet-ups with each other, so you might even make a new friend or two if you want to. Of course if you don't want to that's entirely okay too!
What's in a name?
Some plushies come with a name and that's great but if not, naming your plushie is a very important task. You can use any name you like but if you're stuck for ideas you might like to check out these tips:
• A name that starts with the the same letter as the type of plushie you have (e.g. Gerry the Giraffe).
• A name that rhymes with your plushie's species (e.g. Pat the Rat).
• Give them a first name and surname (e.g. Sir Peter Penguin).
• A name that is significant to where you are from or where the plushie came from (e.g. The London Duck).
No matter what name you choose it will soon become very dear to you and your plushie.
What equipment is required?
A smart phone or tablet with a camera and internet access is the best option as you can blog on the go but if you don't have one you could use any digital camera and upload your pics via a computer. Remember if travelling in another country to only use wifi or get a travel sim card to avoid expensive bills!
So whether this has inspired you to take up plushie blogging or simply follow some plushie bloggers on social media, I hope you enjoyed learning about this fun little hobby where your new stuffed best friend soon becomes as important as your passport when packing for travel!
Meet Our Plushie Pals
Let us know who your plushie pal is! We'd love to follow them too!